City of Winterville

History of Winterville

Click here for some frequently asked questions about Winterville history.

Winterville began as a railroad town, or a wood and water station for the Georgia Railroad, which used to pass through town. Our town was incorporated in 1904, and in 1906, the Oglethorpe County portion of town was transferred to Clarke County. A few years ago, the train tracks were removed when the train stopped coming through Winterville. But we have our historic train depot to remind us of an earlier time when trains were the way to travel or move goods from one place to another. The depot serves as a community center and can be rented.

Today, Winterville offers small town living at its best just a short six mile drive from the University of Georgia and employment opportunities in the metropolitan area of Athens-Clarke County.

Our town has a long and rich history.  Land grants in the late 1700s brought settlers to what is now the Winterville area. With the building of Georgia's first railroad, housing began to cluster around Six-Mile-Station, a wood-and-water stop six miles east of Athens, on the Oglethorpe-Clarke County line in the 1840s. The railroad attracted three brothers, surnamed Winter, from Germany. Soon after, the rail stop became known as Winter's Station, and in 1866, the Oglethorpe Post Office was designated as Winterville.


Land grants in the late 1700s brought settlers to what is now the Winterville area. With the building of Georgia's first railroad, housing began to cluster around Six-Mile-Station, a wood-and-water stop six miles east of Athens, on the Oglethorpe-Clarke County line in the 1840s. The railroad attracted three brothers, surnamed Winter, from Germany. Soon after, the rail stop became known as Winter's Station, and in 1866, the Oglethorpe Post Office was designated as Winterville.


In 1904, the city of Winterville was incorporated, and in 1906, the Oglethorpe County portion of the town was transferred to Clarke County. Today, Winterville retains its charter and is still a municipality, the only one entirely located within the city/county of the unified Athens-Clarke County.

For many years our town was a trading center for farmers in the surrounding areas. At its peak as a trading center, Winterville had a bank, two cotton gins, several general merchandise stores, where almost any type of merchandise was available, and a fertilizer plant.

With the advent of good roads and fast transportation, the town became less and less important as a trading center. Most of the business concerns moved to Athens, or to other smaller towns located on the Seaboard Railroad which passes a few miles to the north of Winterville.

Many of Winterville's Victorian homes were built in the 1870s and 1880s. The 1920s was another peak time of economic activity in Winterville. Newspaper accounts at that time list five general stores, a drug store, a bank, two garages, two cotton gins, two grist mills, and 510 residents.

In the past, Winterville was home to some of the best schools in the area. A championship basketball team at the high school and many other school activities served as a focal point and a boost for community spirit. However, in 1956, after the high school was consolidated with the City of Athens school system, community spirit plummeted. Today, several buildings from the old campus are still standing, including the auditorium.

In 1970, the idea of an annual festival in Winterville was conceived by citizens, including Wesley Whitehead, Joan Biles, and Sybil Deacon, as a means of revitalizing community spirit and reversing the decay prevalent in the city buildings such as the historic train depot. The marigold was adopted as the town's official symbol in 1971. It was chosen because of its hardiness, versatility, and vigor, and because it is a symbol of friendship all over the world.

The Marigold Festival was held from 1971 through 2002 and returned in 2009. Funds from Marigold Festivals are used to beautify and improve the community. Past festivals funded renovations of several buildings, including the depot, furnished the building for the Winterville branch of the Athens Regional Library, built a playscape in the park, plus many other projects.

Early History of Clarke County & Winterville

The building of homes in what was to become Clarke County was delayed, as the 18th century neared its end, by the protests of many Indians that their leaders had signed away Indian lands without authorization. The treaties that had been signed extended only to the Oconee River. In a few year's time, however, part of America's westward movement gradually pushed from the Beaverdam Creek section of Oglethorpe County to the headwaters of Beaverdam (now the Winterville area), on to Trail Creek (now the airport-quarry area), to the east edge of the river, and then finally across into Athens.

Title to land in Clarke County in and surrounding Winterville appears to have passed in part to the following early settlers:

1. John Dardin and Stephen Heard (grant) to Isaer (Isaiah) Hales (sometimes Hailes) around 1800, to Thomson Pittard in 1816; adjacent property owners in 1816 included Needham Sorrel, James Hale, John Hales, John Simmons (?), and Jacob Born (Bowen?). Isaiah Hales was a Baptist minister who led 30 members of Beaverdam Baptist Church to constitute Trail Creek church, the first Baptist church in Clarke County but now extinct. It was located two or three miles from the Hales/Pittard property. A two-room house build in 1802 stood until a few years ago next to the home (865 Athens Road) now occupied (in 1971) by Virginia Williams, great-great-grandaughter of Thomson Pittard.

2. Needham and Josiah Norris, et al (grant 1798) to Humphrey Pittard, 1828; sold recently by his grandsons to Thomas J. Harrell and son. In an enclosure on the place are buried Sally Norris (1776 - 1864) Pittard, and some of their descendants. In 1859 Sarah Pittard deeded to the interdenominational Line Church the land on which the Winterville Methodist Church stands today.

3. Count d'Estaing (grant) to Madame Gouvain (in exchange for her West Indies holdings), to William F. Matthews, to others, to H.e. Wood. The Murrelle home on Spring Valley Road is on William Matthews land that extended to Hull.

An undated marker, placed by the DAR, identifies the grave of Revolutionary soldier, Hiram Howard, a son of Priscilla Farrar Howard and a brother of Abel Howard, of Oglethorpe County. Hiram probably died about 1822. The grave is on a curve of Suddeth Street and is well kept by the J. R. Dawsons, with a clump of day lilies growing around it. The place is part of the land bought by William Alexander Nabers (1798 - 1887) from Thomson Pittard in 1835. Mrs. Dawson and Mrs. David (Zuma Nabers) Johnson are two of the descendants of William Alexander and Sara Hancock Cheatham Nabers who are living (at time of this article) on parts of the old home place. A son of W.A. and Sara Nabers was Jacob Anthony Nabers, M.D. (1854 - 1905).

Other names that appear in early accounts are Barnett, Bolton, Eberhart, England, Hutchenson, Noell, Smith, Strong, and Whitehead (the last-named being a Baptist couple with the good Methodist.

Winterville's Town Square
wintervillesquare.jpg
 

Land for Winterville's town square was donated by an early settler, Sarah Hart Pittard in the 1800s.
 

Why not take a walking tour of Winterville's beautiful town square and Church Street?
 

Inez Edward's Store

Early Store

Inez Edwards' first store was located in front of the public works/volunteer fire department building near the square.

The Pittard Family

Early Settlers

Members of the Pittard family

City of Winterville * P.O. Box 306 * Winterville * GA * 30683 * cityofwinterville.com
CITY HALL HOURS 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CLOSED FOR LUNCH 12-1PM)