Historic Preservation Commission
History of the HPC
In 1841, the town of “Six Mile Station” was completed about six miles from the Georgia Railroad terminus at Athens, GA. Like most rail towns, a settlement grew around the station, eventually becoming known as Winterville in 1866. Through the formation of a Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) in 2018, Winterville has taken the next steps to ensure its historic character remains intact for years to come.
Any visitor to Winterville will note the extensive historic resources throughout our community. Victorian, Craftsman, Georgian, and Ranch homes line our streets. And our civic structures ranges from the 1890s train depot to our newly renovated 1953 auditorium. These historic resources provide a feeling of Winterville remaining familiar, even as times and styles change.
After the creation of the city’s HPC, Winterville also gained the status of “Certified Local Government” (CLG) from the National Park Service in 2020. Homeowners within historic districts may qualify for state and federal tax benefits if they conduct appropriate work which restores a structure’s appearance or adapts it to a new, sustainable use. Property values within historic districts also tend to trend upward, maintaining or enhancing a home’s value.
Application for Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF)
Map of Winterville Historic Districts (PDF)
Approved Historic Preservation Guidelines (PDF)
Jonathan Scott - Chair
Jonathan Frye - Vice Chair
Stacey Hilliard - Secretary
Meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6:00pm and are open to the public. Winterville’s HPC welcomes public comment on any matters pertaining to the HPC’s mission and purview.
Residents can also always email the commission at WintervilleHPC@gmail.com.